Tuesday, November 1, 2011

We Did It!

I feel as though we (I) are finally starting to emerge from the fog. Don't worry, it only took seven months. A month ago it was a rainy, gross Saturday and Gary and I couldn't face the thought of being cooped up in the house all afternoon, so we packed up the kids after Maggie's nap and headed up to the mall. It was a wonderfully fun afternoon as a family, full of great memories. As we sat down after the kids went to bed that night we both looked at each other wide eyed and said something to the effect of "We did it!" As in, we did something that normal people do on an everyday basis without melting down (parents or kids), and actually having fun instead of just completing a task and saying "Phew, that's over." It was revolutionary.

Two weeks later we set out on a little bigger venture as we traveled down to North Carolina to spend a long weekend with my grandparents and some of my extended family.

The result at the end of the trip was the same - a thrilling "We did it!"

Keeping with my M.O., I did not take nearly enough pictures. Fortunately my Uncle Doug supplemented a few...but there are still some significant people missing. Namely, Huge Papa.

On Saturday we went out to the farm that my Aunt Melanie and her husband Phil live and work at. It is without a doubt one of the most beautiful farms I have ever been to. They raise miniature horses and beagles (yes, this is a true story), and Maggie was just about in heaven.

Documentation that we were indeed all together:


Howie and his cheeks were quite the hit.





I have no idea what I'm telling Maggie here - likely to take her hands out of her mouth...a habit that we are not too keen on her forming.








That evening my Uncle Jon, his wife Maryam and their daughter Sophia joined us. Maggie truly loved having someone that enjoyed coloring, eating and watching TV as much as her.



Maggie loved helping Mamaw around the kitchen. And by helping I mean causing her more work. At least Mamaw knows what's been hiding in the back of her cupboards now.



It was all-in-all a great getaway. We are already looking forward to our next visit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know what you mean about the fog! I think I'm still emerging from it. ;)