Sunday, April 22, 2012

Party Like it's Your Birthday

I will likely regret staying up this late to write a blogpost tomorrow morning. But probably not as much as I will regret not having posted in WEEKS when I am looking back at our life ten years from now.


In case you were wondering (or maybe you weren't), yes, Howie has been ONE YEAR OLD for nearly a month now.

As things would have it, none of our family members were going to be around on March 31, so I (reluctantly) put my party planning hat aside and amped up my expectations for a super fun family day. I still have no idea how those expectations were going to manifest themselves, but with two toddlers, it is a) hard to plan things in advance, and b) often takes much less to thrill than anticipated so I decided it was probably safe to wing it.

During my decorating and Birthday Fairy efforts the night before, I started to feel a little off-color. By midnight I was out of bed facing the reality that I had acquired some sort of stomach bug. The next morning I did not feel like I got hit by a truck - I felt like I got run over by a truck. I didn't even SEE the birthday boy until 2:00 in the afternoon!

I am not sure what it is with my kids and lame first birthdays, but it is not a trend that I am becoming fond of.


So long story short, we did NOTHING birthday-related that day, and chose to push back our celebration efforts for the following Saturday, when Grandma and Papa would be in town anyway. Howie may not have known the difference, but Maggie was very convinced and confused because, "He already HAD his birthday!" This is coming from the girl who chose to unwrap his Birthday Fairy gift (in his room) during a time-out and call down the stairs, "HEY MOM!! Can you come upstairs and open up this race car that I just found in Howie's room??!"





It's a good thing that he'll never remember any of this. Oh wait, except for the fact that I've just permanently jogged his memory via the blogosphere for the rest of his life. I'm sure by the time he's old enough to care things like blogs will be completely obsolete.

No comments: