Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Day in Pictures...and Words

It's been awhile since I've done a Day in Pictures. I thought I would supplement today's with some of the funny things Maggie has been saying lately as well.

1. I'll actually begin with last night. On our way home I heard from the back of the car, "Hey Mom?" As soon as I got over the shock of such a candid (and grown up!) comment, I said, "Yeah Mags?" To which she replied (equally candidly and grown up), "Gotta question for ya." "What?" She took her pacifier out and repeated herself, "Gotta question for ya..." When I recovered from my laughter I said, "What's that?" [Silence] I looked back to see her, pacifier back in place, staring straight ahead. No question followed.

2. A couple of weeks ago we went for a (very short) visit to the Cleveland Zoo. While there Maggie saw an elephant for the first time. She also saw an elephant pooping for the first time. I made a joke about having to send her into therapy as a result, but the truth was, I think we all needed therapy after witnessing it. Anyways, it (obviously) made quite the impression on Mags, and everytime she has seen (a picture) or heard about an elephant since then, she has mentioned something about elephants pooping. I am nearing the finish of our playroom revamp, and there are currently various frames and decorations scattered about the room. One of which being a wooden elephant I found at TJMaxx for the wall. Maggie found it this morning and picked it up, looked at it for awhile, then held it up to me and said, "This elephant is not pooping." Thank goodness for that.


3. As I took the above picture (so I could send the quote to Dad for a laugh in his day) she half looked up and said a half-hearted cheese (I didn't even tell her I was taking the picture), made a face, and as soon as I took it she looked up at me and said, "WOW. What a good picture."

4. I can't remember if I've mentioned Maggie's latest obsession with both the phrase and the state of "naked nudey." Nothing/no one is ever referred to as just plain "naked." And it is rare that she is anything but.


5. After a rather lengthy discussion/battle about getting dressed, we finally settled on this shirt and socks. When was the last time that she wore socks?? Why did she want them on a summer day?? And yes, they are size 12 mo. Anyways, this is her sitting down to lunch #1 (As she usually naps in the range between 11-1, we generally have 2 "lunches"). A fig cereal bar and snapea crisps. I can see some of you Super Moms shaking your head right now (especially as she is also eating lunch at the counter, and not at the table), but I consider this meal a victory in healthy eating!


6. How. Because shockingly, this is the only pic I have of him today. This is a great pic to document him, as his hands are CONSTANTLY in his mouth these days. Tooth?? Perhaps...Mags got hers at 5 months. Just waiting for that sucker to pop through...


7. A few weeks ago I went to get Maggie from her crib in the morning and she said, "Mommy, Oh My Dear Lord." Had Gary not prepped me I would have been shocked and thinking "Where did she learn this language???" But he informed me the night before that she was referring to the first line of "How Great Thou Art" - "Oh Lord, my God..." This afternoon she and Gary and I were hanging out after Gary got home while Howie slept and she stopped what she was doing and said, "Oh My Dear Lord. Mommy and Daddy. Oh My Dear Lord. Sing." After a few minutes of us singing together she said, "No Mommy. Just Daddy sing." Thanks, Mags. Tell me how you really feel.

8. It's been approximately two weeks since we ran out of paper towels. So today when Gary offered to stay with Howard while he worked and the baby napped, I went back on my solemn swear to Never Take Maggie Back to Target Ever and practically sprinted to the car with Maggie under my arm. We moved Maggie's carseat to the middle position due to a mini road trip we took over the weekend and she is LOVING her new view. The whole drive to she kept saying "Oooh, Look!," including when we pulled into the Target parking lot and her eyes got really big and her mouth got wide and she said, "Oooh, Look...TARGET."

9. All I have to say is thank goodness for the inner-Target Starbucks and thank goodness for the retail distribution of Cake Pops (or "Pop Pops"), and not only any Cake Pops, but PINK cake pops. She was basically in heaven. And I basically bribed her.


10. After a miraculously long stretch of staying IN THE SEAT of the cart (thanks to my shamelessly throwing things at her to keep her busy/distracted, no doubt), she convinced me to get out for a bit while I perused the kids clothes sales rack (how could I NOT??). After a few minutes of silence I realized that HEY I brought my daughter with me to the store...WHERE IS SHE?? And after a brief moment of panic I heard the dull banging of stomping on metal and discovered her new favorite spot in Target.


11. One of the things I shamelessly through at her was a Dora water bottle that she spotted on the shelf. How she knows who Dora is I will never know. I very clearly told her that she could hold Dora in the store, but that we were not going to take her home. Through the whole store Maggie kept saying, "Maggie hold Dora in store. Dora no come home." Then as we were approaching the check out lines, she looked at the water bottle in her hands and said (ever so sweetly), "Dora come home with Maggie." Suddenly the red clearance sticker called to my heart strings and before I knew it the bottle was on the belt. On the way home I glanced in the rear-view mirror to see Maggie holding the bottle in both hands and leaning to give her a kiss on her enormous head protruding from the top of the bottle...making that bottle worth even a non-clearance price.

2 comments:

Shelly Wildman said...

Oh Beth, I am laughing so hard right now. You really have a way with words . . . and pictures! This is great! I'm glad we can at least keep up through blogs. :)

Beth said...

Haha...thanks Shelly! But I think Maggie's the one who really has a way with words. :)