Friday, January 7, 2011

Good Food: Easy Risotto



It's been awhile since I've done a "Good Food" post. Probably mostly due to the fact that my cooking and experimenting in the kitchen has taken a major hiatus. However, Gary got me Ina's new cookbook for Christmas and I found myself re-inspired. I was especially intrigued by her recipe for "Easy Risotto." Mainly because everything that I've heard is that risotto is such a time and labor-intensive dish.

Well, no more! I have a new favorite go-to dish, one that I will even make when Gary is away! (This says A LOT)

Here's the basic recipe:
1 1/2 c. Arborio rice
5 c. simmering chicken stock, divided
1/2 c. dry white wine (optional)
3 T. unsalted butter, diced
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the rice and 4 cups of the chicken stock in a Dutch oven. Cover and bake for 45 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente. Remove from the oven, add the remaining cup of chicken stock, the wine, butter, salt, pepper and any additional ingredients (see below) and stir vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy and the add-ins are heated through. Serve hot.

I should mention that the first time I made this it came out of the oven perfectly, so I didn't need to add the extra c. of chicken stock. I would just eyeball it and add to your liking.

The recipe in the cookbook calls for 1 c. of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and 1 c. frozen peas. I added some frozen shrimp when I did mine, as well. Really, one thing I love about this recipe is that there are an endless number of things and combinations of things that would work in it...you can really work with whatever you have in your kitchen! I also love that you could serve it as a main dish or a side.

Trust me. I don't know if you will love the dish itself or the fact that it is less than 5 minutes of prep time more. I mean really, "how easy is that?"

No comments: