Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Good Food - Ina's Coffee Cake Muffins

I am in the middle of making these muffins right now and absolutely must share the recipe. This is my second time making them and they are soooo good that I have told Gary I may never make muffins from a box again. This is saying a lot, since I tend to put Sandra Lee to shame.


Ina makes these with blueberries, but I think you could make them with whatever you have on hand. The first time I did them with the same cinnamon/sugar/pudding mix I use on my cinnamon rolls (ANOTHER recipe I must post sometime!), and tonight I am making them with chocolate chips. The batter is really delectable simply on its own.



So here you go!

INGREDIENTS:
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 t. pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (about 1 c.) sour cream
- 1/4 c. milk
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- (add ins...2 pints blueberries, etc.)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 16 (ish - depends on the size of your muffin pans. I think Ina uses the big ones.) paper liners in muffin pans.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until just mixed. Fold in the blueberries with a spatula and be sure the batter is completely mixed.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each cup just over the top (Ina suggests using a ice cream scoop - it works brilliantly) and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a cake tester comes out clean.



If you can make it through without practically licking the paddle clean, you are a better person than I. For the record, it is WAY better than cookie dough.

And just because I know 98% of people are reading this in hopes of seeing her rather than a new recipe:

1 comment:

Christie W. Chu said...

I can't wait to make these...wow. They sound awesome. And I since I can't imagine anything that's better than cookie dough, I'll be testing you on that statement!

PS--Maggie is so adorable I can't stand it.